Call Center Manager for New Healthcare Organization
Our client is a family-owned investment group that is preparing to launch with a prominent hospital network a new medical service providing around-the-clock medical care to homebound patients. The initiative will combine innovative technology solutions with in-person service to address the nation’s considerable need for at-home medical care in an efficient, effective, compliant and scalable manner.
We are assembling a small executive team to help us start up in the New York State area and subsequently expand in other regions. We are seeking a Call Center Manager to join the operational team that will drive this organization from proof-of-concept to national roll-out.
The Call Center Manager will serve as a member of the operational management team, will participate in the set-up of the organization’s first call center, its test, its ramp-up, and subsequently in its national roll-out.
The Call Center Manager:
- Oversees the daily operations of a team of Medical Communications Center Specialists responsible for documenting patient calls and reported symptoms and conditions. Ensures team is appropriately staffed at all times to handle call center volume.
- Accountable for ensuring that the team of Medical Communications Center specialists executes against department/company strategy, goals and objectives and continually seeks efficiency and process improvement to maximize resources. Leads discussions regarding daily operations of the department, contributes to the creation and implementation of policies, procedures, and processes. Responsible for contributing to the development and training of employees within the group through performance coaching and acting as a mentor. Participates in management development and training initiatives to meet current and future business needs.
Core Responsibilities and Essential Functions
- Oversees the daily operations of a team of Medical Communications specialists and escalates concerns to General Manager appropriately.
- Maintains knowledge base for the IT systems, operational procedures and any specific additional customer requirements.
- Conducts Quality Assurance activities (e.g., call monitoring, database review, coaching) which focuses on the continuous improvement of the quality, consistency, compliance, and accuracy of verbal and written communications.
- Utilizes tools to monitor qualitative aspects of triage and patient phone calls and ensures team is providing excellent customer service.
- Evaluates adherence to policies/procedures and institutes corrective action when needed; includes reviewing adverse events and product quality complaints to ensure compliance with Corporate SOPs.
- Assists Medical Communications Center colleagues with challenging times when peak volumes are achieved or personnel are absent.
- Contributes to the product knowledge development and training of employees within the team.
- Compile, analyze, and provide call center operations reports on a regular basis. Monitors patient intake process and proactively communicates trends to stakeholders and strategically uses trends to guide and modify operations.
- Monitors call volume and related activities on a daily basis; provides management with periodic reports to facilitate staffing/process decisions.
- Contributes to establishing the goals and objectives for the group.
- Responds directly to medical information requests by patients or their doctors following all required legal compliance standards.
- Responsible for providing superior quality customer support through active listening, asking clarifying questions, demonstrating patience and empathy, while ensuring issue resolution. Leads by example on effective use of soft phone skills. Demonstrates consistent, superior customer service, even with difficult callers and situations.
- Identifies/obtains pertinent data, and accurately processes any reported adverse events (AEs) and product quality complaints (PQCs), in accordance with policy and procedures.
- Participates in on call schedule to provide 24-hour medical information coverage, as needed.
- Assumes the lead on key projects for the group and coordinates with interdisciplinary partners as required.
- Conducts business in accordance with company values. Completes all assigned SOPs and training within designated timeframe and adheres to job-specific SOPs and work instructions.
- Demonstrates the ability to organize and prioritize assigned workload and to employ efficient time management strategies when performing medical information activities.
- Ensures new hire training is comprehensive and completed within defined timelines, resulting in an employee’s ability to work independently.
- Ensures training documents for all direct reports are comprehensive and up to date.
- Makes decisions regarding personnel, including the hiring of staff, disciplinary actions and performance appraisals.
- Proven experience overseeing all tasks described above
- 4-6 years of experience managing call center operations required, preferably at a 911 call center or other medical triage facility
- 4-6 years of patient intake experience
- People management experience necessary
- Relevant therapeutic background desired
- Proven track-record in launching and leading new a call center operation in the healthcare space
- Progressive managerial responsibilities with background in operation of Customer Service environment
- Strong customer orientation and critical thinking skills
- Call center or telephonic triage experience required
- Ability to work with multidisciplinary teams
- Strong analytical, verbal and written communication skills, as well as interpersonal and presentation skills
- Flexible, with positive attitude, strong ability to multi task, prioritize projects and communicate at all levels within the company
- Familiarity with electronic referencing databases preferred
- Strong computer experience in Microsoft environment and other as needed
- Strong Access, Excel, and PowerPoint skills required
- We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please respond using the form on the right.
In the “Position of Interest” field, enter “Call Center Manager – Healthcare”